We’re on the lookout for a talented CG Lead Artist to oversee 3D projects and provide technical leadership to the 3D team during all commercials that have CG elements. The Lead Artist will work as an artist on projects and will also have some project management responsibilities. This member will help guide the CG process along technical paths and will help the senior producer with estimating time and process. A good lead will have good intuition for interpreting client direction and will be able to communicate effectively in the visual medium. Other responsibilities include maintenance of workflow, file organisation, and production standards.
- Responsible for creating and leading others to create high quality imagery as defined by the Director or Art Director.
- Work closely with the producers to evaluate the requirements of a project and estimate resources and schedule.
- Determine the technical requirements of initial scope and any changes.
- Make high-impact operational recommendations for course of action such as selection of render engine and the selection of specific technical methodologies.
- Continually evaluate, assess, and correct trends in the workflow.
- Identify current technical challenges and forecasts future requirements for critical workflow optimization.
- Monitor and analyze the technical CG procedures. Propose and implement modifications as needed.
- Participate in review and approval meetings by clarifying direction and creative goals and ensuring that technical and schedule requirements are met.
- Quality assurance of assets going out to other departments or to client.
- Document workflow procedures. Constantly work on ways to improve the process and the product.
- 6+ years proven experience at an animation studio, visual effects or related facility.
- Degree in visual art, animation or equivalent experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of current trends and future direction of Film and Video Production and Post Production.
- Comprehensive understanding of CG production fundamentals.
- Excellent Maya skills including a good understanding of modeling, texturing, look development and lighting. Knowledge of animation and effects appreciated.
- Comprehensive understanding of CG composite techniques.
- Excellent understanding of photography and film with strong artistic skills including knowledge of color, lighting, perspective, scale, and composition.
- Excellent artistic skills; proven sense for composition, light, color and strong attention to detail
- Must be organized and detail oriented when it comes to setting up scenes, cleaning files, and following naming conventions for files and folders.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to guide, teach, and delegate to junior mid-level artists.
- Previous experience with team management and task assignment.
- Provide high-level support and mentoring to team members, offer guidance and training on applications and hardware.
- Ability to work with Agency directors and take direction well.
- Ability to translate client and creative direction into technical actionable tasks.
- Knowledge of time and budgetary constraints and ability to resolve conflicts between time, budget and scope.
- Able to perform well under potentially stressful situations.